Skip to main content

"THE MODERN OCCULTIST INTERVIEW #11: Eric Wagner"

The

Modern Occultist

Interview  #11


Eric Wagner

 

An Insider’s Guide to Robert Anton Wilson & Straight Outta Dublin

New Falcon, 2004 & Hilaritas Press, 2025

MODERN OCCULTIST

An Insider’s Guide to Robert Anton Wilson is as almost as much a memoir of a twenty-two-year correspondence and friendship with RAW as it is a critical guide to his work—you describe Wilson making you a hand-drawn Joycean map of Dublin, writing you letters about Finnegans Wake, encouraging your poetry newsletter.

In your experience, how did Wilson’s famous “maybe logic”—his radical epistemic humility—actually manifest in his personal relationships? Was he as genuinely uncertain in private as he was in print, or was the philosophical stance partly a performance? (I’ll give a personal opinion here: I think he was the real deal, but authors do often have a persona…)

 

ERIC WAGNER

Bob seemed to me the real deal. He had internalized not coming to premature certainty in general. Please note that I did not spend that much time with him in person. We met a few times from 1987 through 2000. We mostly communicated via snail mail and email with a few phone calls. 

 

MO

The Insider’s Guide is structured in a distinctly “Wilsonian way”—Joycean associations, kabbalistic numerology, the Law of Fives bleeding into the very architecture of the book itself, etc.  At what point did you realize you couldn’t write about Wilson’s method without also writing through it? And did that realization feel like a trap, a gift, or both?

 

EW

I had written a fair amount about Wilson before I wrote my first book, and I had experimented a lot using methods inspired by Wilson, Pound, Joyce, and Crowley, etc. It felt like a gift, but my Crowley work did seem like a trap. Crowleyean Kabbalah can reimprint the third circuit of the nervous system, but afterwards it seems hard to get out of that Crowleyean way of looking at the world. Like the zen student who meditated on an ox, my horns won’t fit through the door. I have deliberately avoided Crowley for the most part over the past 21 years, but I have not successfully replaced that third circuit imprint.


MO

You document Wilson’s lifelong devotion to Ezra Pound’s Cantos—the phrase “hilaritas et amor” from the Paradiso section even became Wilson’s email signature. Yet Pound is a deeply problematic figure—which both you and Wilson acknowledged. How did Wilson square that particular tension, and how do you square it as someone who has spent decades in both men’s work?

 

EW

Bob did a very good job of separating the dancer from the dance, as Yeats put it. He would learn from people despite their more problematical aspects, as one can see from his discussions of Pound and Crowley, etc. I started reading Pound in 1982, and I would to read a bunch of Pound, become disgusted, and leave him alone for a while. Then I would read a bit of Pound, go “Wow!”, learn a lot, read a bunch more by and about Pound, get disgusted, and leave him alone for a while. As with Crowley, Pound has influenced me very profoundly, more so than with Crowley. I have also had the good fortune to teach number of Pound’s books in high school and community college classes.

In the 1990’s Bob invited me to participate in a discussion of Pound online at the Zero City Amphitheater. In our discussions there Bob compared me to St. Paul because he found me too judgmental of Uncle Ezra. 

 

MO

The Insider’s Guide was published in 2004 and revised in 2011, and Wilson himself passed away in 2007. Now, nearly two decades later, Hilaritas Press is carrying his legacy forward and his readership feels genuinely resurgent. Do you think Wilson anticipated the particular way the 21st century would make his ideas feel prophetic—the weaponization of conspiracy, the collapse of consensus reality, the rise of reality tunnels as a mass cultural condition—or would even he have been surprised by how darkly his playful epistemology has been confirmed?

 

EW

Please note: The revised third edition of my book came out in 2020. The 2011 second edition did not contain any major revisions.  In answer to your questions, it beats me. I suspect he would accept that some of his ideas do seem prophetic. I know Trump and the pandemic deeply surprised me. I remember wondering in 2009 what Bob would have thought of President Obama. In the early nineties Bob liked President Clinton, but he became disillusioned as the decade continued. As 2007 recedes into the past, I feel less and less certainty that I could predict Bob’s responses to our current situation. 

 

MO

Wilson wrote the introduction to your book in one sentence—“You just read it!”—a joke that is also a genuine philosophical statement about the relationship between commentary and primary text. (I really loved that!) What did he make of being the subject of such sustained, loving exegesis? Did he ever push back, correct you, or say “you’ve got that completely wrong”? And if so—what?

 

EW

I have heard that he liked my book and felt grateful for my efforts. He would push back (as with my judgements about Ezra Pound). In 1988 or so I asked him if the main action of Illuminatus! took place in 1976. He said no. A decade later I asked him what year that main action took place in, and he answered “1976.” Of course, by then I had begun working on my book, and he genuinely wanted to help with that. I had asked what he thought about me writing the book, and told me to do it and that he wanted to help. His introduction as “Mordecai the Foul” gives some of his corrections of my errors. 


MO

In your personal opinion—and to the benefit of new students and initiates—how would you describe “Occult Philosophy”?

 

EW

I tend to think that occult means hidden, so I think of hidden philosophy, ways of thinking that can get one in trouble with the authorities. 

 

MO

What was your personal start on your own journey on this path (or chosen profession)?

 

EW

As a child I had an 8:00 bedtime, 8:30 if I read. That brainwashed me into becoming a constant reader. At five I loved the cartoon Eighth Man where the android used the name Tobor (robot backwards). A few years later I watched Son of Dracula where Lon Chaney Jr.’s character uses the name Alucard. This prepared me for Joyce, Wilson, and Crowley’s word games. Plus reading Phil Farmer and Phil Dick as teen prepared me for reading Dr. Wilson. 

 

MO

To this magazine, the concept of “modern occultism” can (and should) be equally viewed from both the academic and practical sides. What would you recommend to a person only now coming along to these subjects, and is uncertain if an objective academic career, or a true “practical path” may be right for them?

 

EW

Beats me. If you can get good degrees and get paid for some publications, that seems a great blessing.

 

MO

What is one book, film, lecture, or teacher that helped shape your journey and personal philosophies that you would recommend to a new student or occult practitioner (or historian / academic)?

 

EW

I love Rafi Zabor’s books, and he and I have become friends. I started reading his writing on jazz in Musician magazine in 1979, and I highly recommend his books.

 

MO

And finally, what is one daily activity that you believe is a MUST for all seekers of the occult philosophies and/or arts?

 

EW

I don’t know. I do Duolingo every day. I think anyone interested the Kabbalah might enjoy using Duolingo to learn the Hebrew alphabet (unless they already know it). I do Ibn ‘Arabi’s Prayers for the Week, translated by Hirtenstein and Beneito, every day, and I highly recommend them. 



(Every day, Modern Occultist News will present "This Day in Occult History" and your "Daily Occult Review" and will dive into the birthdays, rituals, breakthroughs, and crucial moments that shaped today’s many esoteric traditions. From the Hermetic revival to Witchcraft, from Crowley to cyberspace, we’ll bring the best stories and latest trends to today’s own modern occultists everywhere.)

Modern Occultist

Home

About

The Magazine

Subscribe

Contact

 

2026. Modern Occultist Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Popular posts from this blog

"Eight Teenagers Are Building a Country — And They've Made Me Their Merlin"

ON THIS DAY IN OCCULT HISTORY March 6 Eight Teenagers Are Building a Country — And They've Made Me Their Merlin In a chaotic political landscape, eight teenagers are doing the impossible: taking the reins on their own future and forming their own country ... and Modern Occultist is here to help.  By C.M. Kushins, Publisher — Modern Occultist Digital Magazine (Affiliate disclosure: Some links on this blog may earn us a small commission at no cost to you. Every bit helps keep the lantern lit.) I have a confession to make. When we were first asked if Modern Occultist might consider becoming a spiritual sponsor for a micronation — a self-declared teenage-run country called Gapla , situated on 54 acres of forested, unclaimed land between Serbia and Croatia — my first instinct was to smile and feel a tad jealous that I hadn’t thought of that at seventeen-years-old. But my assumption that Gapla was a school project, perhaps, or game between friends was quickly proven wro...

"Happy Birthday, Lon Milo DuQuette: The Mark Twain of the Occult" / OCCULT READS PRESENTS: "My Life with the Spirits" & "An Accidental Christ"

ON THIS DAY IN OCCULT HISTORY July 11 Happy Birthday, Lon Milo DuQuette:  The Mark Twain of the Occult (Affiliate disclosure: Some links on this blog may earn us a small commission at no cost to you. Every bit helps keep the lantern lit.) The Coconut Grove at the Ambassador Hotel, circa 1970…. A young acid-cowboy duo called Charley D. and Milo has been booked, against their better judgment, to back Sammy Davis Jr. for one night, in front of a room that includes John Wayne, Nancy Sinatra, Zsa Zsa Gabor, and a stoned young George Carlin who wanders up afterward to tell them they were “groovy.” Everything is going fine until Sammy starts introducing the next number—“Spinning Wheel”—a song the two guitarists have never learned. Lon Milo DuQuette and his partner quietly slip their guitars off, creep offstage, and leave Sammy Davis Jr. alone with only the drummer to get him through it. They never worked with the William Morris Agency again. Neither, as it turned out, did the agen...

"Robert Anton Wilson Day" / OCCULT READS PRESENTS: "Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You and Your World"

ON THIS DAY IN OCCULT HISTORY July 23 Happy Robert Anton Wilson Day!   (Affiliate disclosure: Some links on this blog may earn us a small commission at no cost to you. Every bit helps keep the lantern lit.) An Insider's Guide to Robert Anton Wilson • Eric Wagner • New Falcon Publications • Revised Edition, 2020 • ISBN: 1-56184-165-X Every Day is a GOOD Day: Robert Shea on Illuminatus!, Writing, and Anarchism • Edited by Tom Jackson • Hilaritas Press • 2025 • ISBN: 978-1952746437   On July 23, 1973, a former Playboy editor turned novelist sat in California running himself through a battery of yogic breathing exercises and ceremonial magic techniques he'd adapted from Aleister Crowley, trying to see what would happen if he took his own skepticism and set it down for a while. Somewhere in the archive of human letters there is a category of writer who cannot be summarized. You can describe their books, chart their influences, document their controversies, quote the...